100 students fall sick after consuming lunch at hostel mess in Telangana’s Nirmal, probe underway

As many as 100 students fell ill after consuming lunch at IIIT-Basar hostel mess on Friday. All students are now stable and a probe is underway.

nirmal institute food poisoning

Nirmal Collector Musharraf Faruqi is monitoring the situation. (Photo: India Today)

At least 100 students of Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies, popularly known as IIIT-Basar in Telangana’s Nirmal district fell ill after they had lunch on Friday. Almost 50 students are currently being treated for food poisoning.

“Today at a hostel in IIIT Basara, 100 students fell sick after consuming lunch in two of the three messes, among which 50 are undergoing treatment. All of the students are stable. The reason for the food poisoning is yet to be ascertained. A criminal case will be booked against the mess staff and an investigation is underway,” Nirmal Collector Musharraf Ali Faruqui told India Today.

The students were admitted after complaining of uneasiness. All students are stable now. According to PTI, students were served egg curry and rice for lunch and over 500 students consumed the meal. The unwell are being treated by doctors at the institute.

Meanwhile, Health Minister T Harish Rao in a statement said he instructed the officials concerned to dispatch special medical teams to Basar for better treatment to the ailing students.

— ENDS —

Source link