Malegaon blast case: Court issues bailable warrant against one accused

A special NIA court in Mumbai on Friday issued another bailable warrant (BW) of Rs 10,000 against accused Sudhakar Dhar Dwivedi alias Swami Amrutanand Devtirth alias Dayanand Pandey over his repeated non-appearance in court.

The bailable warrant against the accused came days after the issuance of a similar bailable warrant against Bhopal BJP MP Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.

Advocate Ranjeet Sangle appearing for Dwivedi filed an exemption application on medical grounds. However, the special judge AK Lahoti noticed that Dwivedi was also absent on the last dates of the recording of the statement. The court noted that he had been specifically asked to be present on March 15, but despite it, he was not present.

The court is currently at the fag end of the Malegaon 2008 blast trial where questions put up by the court are being answered by the accused under section 313 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC). The 313 procedures have been going on for some months now where the court has prepared questions to ask all the accused and all the accused answer the questions.

Judge Lahoti noted that despite the “directions, the accused is absent today. The reason given in the application is that he is ill and unable to attend court. The original medical certificate is also not annexed to the application. Therefore, I am not inclined to allow this application.”

Sangle then applied to stay the execution of the warrant. However, the judge in his order said, “It is not disputed that already the order of Bailable warrant is issued by this court. The NIA officer who was present before the court already he was directed to serve the BW and to file compliance report. BW is already issued. Despite of the specific directions to remain present and today’s date is reserved for recording the statement of Dhar Dwivedi only, even though he failed to remain present. Hence, I am not inclined to grant the stay to the aforesaid order. Therefore, the application stands rejected.”

According to the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) Dwivedi was part of a conspiracy planning that led to the blast and had been in custody since his arrest in 2008 until 2017 when he was granted bail.

Six people were killed and over 100 injured when an explosive device strapped on a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Malegaon, about 200 km from Mumbai in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.

The case was initially probed by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad before it was transferred to the National Investigation Agency in 2011.

Published By:

Sudeep Lavania

Published On:

Mar 16, 2024

Source link