Father of gangster Lawrence Bishnoi, the prime accused in the Sidhu Moose Wala murder case, told the Supreme Court that he was not safe in the custody of Punjab Police and sought transfer of the probe to Delhi.
Senior advocate Vikram Chaudhary, appearing for Bishnoi’s father, told the bench of Justices Ajay Rastogi and Abhay Oka that the way he was being taken from one city to another was becoming a constant threat to his life.
Countering the submission, senior advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi, appearing for the Punjab government, told the bench that his safety was their prime concern. “Wherever he goes, 100 policemen accompany him and all of it is videographed as well. So there is no question of any kind of threat,” he said.
Singhvi told the bench that Bishnoi was already facing 57 FIRs.
“During the probe, it was also revealed that Bishnoi was leading a huge syndicate of crime with international links,” Singhvi said.
The counsel for BJP leader Jagit Singh told the bench that he was not pressing his petition seeking a CBI probe in the case and told the bench that he appeared for a person who was in Mansa and had contested for a particular political party who was in the ruling dispensation.
The bench advised the counsel to withdraw his petition and said, “Punjab is supposed to take care and they are taking care.”
“Our request is such matters should not be connected politically. We don’t appreciate this. This court has to work openly for all people. But it should not be given any political colour,” the bench said while slating the hearing for July 18 asking the petitioner to serve a copy to the Punjab government.
Sidhu Moose Wala was shot dead in Jawahar Ke village of Mansa on May 29. Punjab Police’s investigation so far has revealed that the shooters were allegedly acting under the direction of Lawrence Bishnoi and Canada-based gangster Goldy Brar. They had received support from Sachin Thapan, Anmol Bishnoi, and Vikram Brar (now in Dubai).
— ENDS —